Saturday, August 18, 2007

Law of the Heart

While reading Alan Lightman's book entitled The Discoveries, Great Breakthroughs in the 20th-Century Science, I went accross Ernest Starling's "Law of the Heart", which states that the force of the muscular contraction is proportional to the extent to which the heart muscle is stretched.

This sounds very scientific. But come to think of it: it can mean something relevant to any person... if you know what I mean.

Meanwhile, I'm now engrossed at reading the book right now. It showcases 24 monumental scientific works that shaped modern science. It tickles the scientist in me, though I have already turned my back on molecular biology to pursue a totally different career path. Still, the book is worthwhile reading. Truly for geeks and non-geeks (who are comfortable with calculus, physics, molecular biology, and a bit of physiology) alike.

No comments: