Sunday, November 04, 2007

Trekking Mt. Maculot


It was my sixth time to trek Mt. Maculot in Cuenca, Batangas yesterday, but it was my first time to camp out at the peak and take photos of the spectacular views. I was with two buddies (and former MBB blockmates in UP) Jan and Flaegil.

After setting up our tent, we had some chit-chat with Manong, the owner of Maculot's "7-11", who told us about the mountain's best-known legend: the woman who jumped off the Rockies, which is part of Maculot that overlooks Taal lake. Her name by the way is Maricris (I'm not sure with the spelling) and she left a suicide note saying "I love Maculot". How moving. Her body was recovered in the thick forest beneath the Rockies nine days after the incident.

Another interesting story about Maculot is that many people have already got lost along the trail. Count me in. Late last year, I, together with three others, almost spent a night in the thick, dark forest. Thank God we were lucky enough to make our way back to civilization, but only after obtaining a lot of scratches, bruises, mosquito bites, and mud all over our clothes.

At any rate, trekking Maculot is a worthwhile experience. Mountain hiking can be a very good hobby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Long time!

Hiking is really something. Kamusta mo ko kay Flaegil!

I got a new blog pala. Click on my name to get there.

See ya bro!